Storytime STEM+C Adventures consist of five integrated activities. They focus on building a foundation for computational thinking and integrate STEM activities. For standards-alignment please see our website www.storytimestem.com.
How can Storytime STEM Adventures enhance my curriculum?
- Build a foundation for computer science/computational thinking
- Create excitement and interest for computer science and STEM
- Application of STEM concepts
- Reinforcement of STEM concepts
- Enrichment for STEM concepts
What is the time requirement to implement a Storytime STEM-pack?
- A STEM+C Adventures consists of five 45-minute challenges.
- Each challenge can be broken up into smaller chunks, for example reading the story one day and doing the activities another day. When needed, the activities can be broken up further by sections in the facilitator guide.
Are Storytime STEM-packs designed for whole class activities or small groups?
- Storytime STEM Adventures include both whole class activities (reading the book and debrief discussions) and small group work. For computer science challenges with Bee-Bot, children work in groups of four; for STEM activities they work in groups of three, two, or by themselves.
- Some PreK classrooms read the stories as a whole class and have smaller groups of children work on the computer science challenges and/or do the activities in centers and then bring everyone together again for a discussion.
How have materials for the engineering challenge in the Adventure been selected?
- Storytime STEM-pack materials for engineering design challenges have been carefully selected and field tested to be suitable for young children and provide results that children can use as evidence to inform their design. The materials children choose from are purposefully limited, so the planning and debriefing stages do not take too long and young children are not overwhelmed with trying to compare too many variables.
How do I refurbish Storytime STEM-packs?
- Many of the STEM and computer science activities in an Adventure do not require refurbishment. A QR code is provided in the box to print extra copies of consumable print materials (e.g., Bee-Bot costumes) for subsequent implementations.
- Consumable materials in engineering design Storytime STEM-packs are mostly items that can be purchased at local grocery or craft stores. If you can’t find a particular item, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send you the link where you can purchase it.