STEM Concept: Waves: Sound
Vibrating matter can make sounds.
Sounds can be man-made or natural.
This Storytime STEM-pack includes all the materials you need to engage kids in science activities that address the concept of sound, in particular that sounds can be man-made or natural, and how vibrating matter can make sound. The activity is launched by reading the popular children's book Little Blue Truck, followed by children sorting provided Photo Cards into man-made and natural sounds. Children then discuss how animals use their sense of hearing to help them survive, using the Fox and Rabbit Card. Next children listen carefully as they shake eggs filled with different materials and compare and describe the sounds they make, guessing what might be inside. This is followed by each child using a craft stick to explore how vibrating matter makes sound. Children reinforce their learning by explaining what they learned about sound, using the Sound Concept Card. Included in this set, you'll find:
- Detailed instructions (i.e., lesson plan) for the learning activities
- 12 Sound Photo Cards sets (recommended that children work with a partner)
- Fox and Rabbit Card (8.5x11)
- Materials needed to make 24 sound mystery containers (plastic eggs, rice, paper clips, rocks, beans)
- 24 craft sticks
- Sound Concept Card (8.5x11)
- Word wall cards to use in context
- A copy of Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
The entire activity takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. This STEM-pack is suitable for grades PreK-K.