STEM Concept: Natural Resources
Humans use resources for everything they do.
This Storytime STEM-Pack includes all the materials you need to engage children in science activities that address the concept of natural resources. The activity is launched by reading the popular children’s book My Papi has a Motorcycle, followed by the children matching different natural resources with electricity generation and use, such as a wind and a windmill. Children then examine different community places and think about how people use electricity there. In the last activity children use mathematic practices to analyze electricity use of common appliances in the home and think about how to conserve electricity. Included in this set, you'll find:
- Detailed instructions (i.e., lesson plan) for the learning activities
- 8 Generating Electricity cards
- 1 Electric Use Teacher Chart
- Spanish Translation cards
- 5 sets of Community Cards (3 pages each)
- 13 Electricity Cards (13 8.5x11 pages with 12 small cards each to cut out)
- 13 Electric Use Charts
- One copy of My Papi Has a Motorcycle by Isabel Quintero
The entire activity takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. This STEM-Pack is suitable for grades PreK-2.