STEM Concept: Engineering Design
Developing and Optimizing Design Solutions
This Storytime STEM-pack contains two separate activities.
Boxitects and Boxitects – Making Cardboard
This 3DuxDesign Storytime STEM-Pack includes all the materials you need to engage kids in two separate engineering design tasks. The first tasks uses 3DuxDesign geometric cardboard pieces and connectors. The activity is launched by reading the popular children's book Boxitects, and challenges the children to explore building structures and vehicles with the cardboard shapes and connector to help solve a problem for a Maker Fair. The second task revisits pages from the book and engages children to construct their own study corrugated cardboard.
Included in this set, you'll find:
- Detailed instructions (i.e., lesson plan) for two separate learning activities
- Materials for up to 24 children
- Six sets of various geometric cardboard forms
- Six jars of 30 connectors each
- 1 11x8.5 sheet with six small Boxitects Transportation and Shelter Photo Cards
- 24 My Idea Board sheets (11x8.5)
- 24 Our Idea Board sheets (11x8.5)
- 60 sheets of plain paper (11x8.5)
- 1 Engineering Design Concept Card (11x8.5)
- A copy of Boxitects by Kim Smith
Each of the two activities takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. This STEM-Pack Duo is suitable for grades PreK-2.