STEM Concepts: Waves: Light
Shadows are formed when an object blocks light from falling on a surface.
This Storytime STEM-pack includes all the materials you need to engage kids in a science activity that combines the concept of light with the path of the sun across the sky, by engaging children in the phenomenon of shadows. The activity is launched by reading the popular children’s book Dark as a Shadow. This is followed by children modeling scenes from the book, using a flashlight and various objects. Children reinforce their learning by explaining how they could make the shadow different lengths and directions, and making an argument of what is needed to make a shadow, using the Making a Shadow concept card. They then connect their learning about shadows with the position of the sun in the sky using Outdoor Photo Cards. Included in this set, you'll find:
- Detailed instructions (i.e., lesson plan) for the learning activities
- Shadow making materials for six groups of four kids
- 6 flashlights (colors vary), batteries included
- 6 small balls (colors vary)
- 6 plastic animals (animals vary)
- 6 craft sticks
- Making a Shadow concept card (8.5x11)
- Outdoor Photo cards (6)
- Word Wall Cards
- A copy of Dark as a Shadow by Lawrence F. Lowery
The entire activity takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. This STEM-pack is suitable for grades K-2.