This Storytime STEM-Pack includes all the materials you need to engage children in a mathematics activity that addresses the concepts of place value and addition. The activity is launched by reading the popular children’s book Margaret and the Moon, followed by the children making a counting collection with 50-100 stars and 10 cups provided to each pair of children. They use a recording sheet and note and share the strategies they used to count the stars they were given. The activity concludes with children pairing with another group to compare their amounts and determine how many stars they have altogether. Included in this set, you'll find:
- Detailed instructions (i.e., lesson plan) for the learning activities
- 500 star shaped pony beads
- Twelve Hundreds Charts (8.5x11)
- Twelve recording sheets (8.5x11)
- One copy of Margaret and the Moon by Dean Robbins
The entire activity takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. This STEM-Pack is suitable for grades 1-2.