STEM Concept: Space Systems: Patterns and Cycles
The sun rises in the East, moves across the sky, and sets each day.
This Storytime STEM-pack includes all the materials you need to engage kids in a science activity that addresses the concept of the Sun, Earth, Moon system, in particular the path of the sun across the sky. The activity is launched by reading the popular children’s book The Sun is My Favorite Star, followed by the children identifying objects that can be seen in the day sky, which are placed on a felt board. Using Day Sky cards and the Night Sky card, children describe the path of the sun across the sky during the day. They reinforce their learning by matching daily activity photo cards to the position of the sun during the day. Included in this set, you'll find:
- Detailed instructions (i.e., lesson plan) for the learning activities
- 8 color card stock objects (3 on the ground for reference and 5 in the sky) and a felt board (choice of VelcroThe dots and magnetic strip provided to secure objects to background)
- A set of beautifully illustrated Day Sky cards (morning, noon, evening) and a Night Sky card
- 24 small daily activity photo cards
- Word wall cards to use in context
- A copy of The Sun is My Favorite Star by Frank Ash
The entire activity takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. This STEM-pack is suitable for grades PreK-1.